Tottenham Hotspur vs Real Madrid
Tottenham welcome Real Madrid to Wembley on Wednesday with both teams looking to take a step closer to the knock-out stage of the Champions League.
The sides are locked level on seven points each after the first three games and they could not be separated when they met at the Bernabeu in October, with the game finishing 1-1.
Both teams come into the game licking their wounds following weekend defeats, but the spotlight is firmly on Zinedine Zidane’s men, who have been floundering this season.
- Real are unbeaten against Spurs in European competition. They have faced each other five times previously, with Real winning three of them.
- Real Madrid are unbeaten in their last 30 Champions League group games (W22 D8) – their last defeat was in October 2012 away against Borussia Dortmund.
- They have failed to score only once in their last 53 Champions League group games (0-0 at Paris St-Germain, October 2015).
- Having previously gone four home Champions League games without a win (D1 L3), Spurs have won their last two.
- Tottenham Hotspur have never won at home in European competition against Spanish opposition (D2 L3).
- No other team has registered more attempts on the counter-attack than Spurs this season in the Champions League (5 – fast break); scoring with one of those efforts.
- Each of the 27 times English clubs have had seven or more points after three Champions League match days they have progressed to the last 16 (since the current format was introduced in 2003-04).
- Cristiano Ronaldo has scored once in each of his three previous Champions League games against Tottenham.
- Harry Kane and Cristiano Ronaldo have both scored more goals than anyone else in the competition this season (five).