Newcastle vs Liverpool
Newcastle sank to yet another defeat at the weekend as they lost at home to Leicester. It was a thrilling match in the end, with Demarai Gray putting The Foxes 2-1 up with half an hour to play before Dwight Gayle stole an equaliser. In the end, it was a disappointing own goal from Ayoze Perez that settled the scores in the 86th minute, resigning Newcastle to more disappointment.
The Magpies really aren’t in the best shape at the moment. That defeat made it seven games without a win in the Premier League, and six of those have ended in defeat, which has unsurprisingly sent them plummeting down the Premier League table. They now sit 16th in the league, just two points clear of the drop zone and not showing many signs of turning their form around.
Everton, on the other hand, have shown many signs of turning their form around since Sam Allardyce’s rather unpopular appointment as manager. They may not play attractive football, but the results are finally starting to flow their way and Big Sam may well have wormed his way into the hearts of a few Toffees fans at the weekend.
They were by far the worse team at Anfield in the Merseyside Derby, but somehow they kept their deficit to 1-0 for the entire second half before winning a late penalty, one which was duly converted by Wayne Rooney to earn them a point against their arch rivals.
This followed on from three consecutive wins in all competitions for Everton, pushing them up to 10th in the Premier League table and giving them a comfortable six point cushion on the drop zone, despite their disastrous start to the campaign.
Away from home they have struggled, but there have been definite signs of improvement recently. They have scored in four of their last five trips away in the Premier League, but are yet to keep a clean sheet on the road. Meanwhile, Newcastle have scored in all but three of their home games this season but have managed just two clean sheets. This makes a Both Teams to Score bet look a great choice here, so that’s what we’re opting for.
We also fancy Everton to get all three points on Wednesday. They are coming into this game in excellent form and their opponents have lost three home matches on the bounce. This includes a 1-0 defeat against a rather lacklustre Bournemouth side, so an away win is definitely a good option to bet on along with a 2-1 correct score predictions.
Head To Head
Everton have won five and lost one of their last six meetings with Newcastle.
Newcastle vs Everton Stats
- Newcastle have lost six of their last seven league games against Everton (W1), including each of the last three in a row. They’ve not lost four consecutively against them since a run of five in January 1920.
- Everton have won three of their last four league visits to St James’ Park (L1), as many as they had in their previous 20 top-flight games there.
- Newcastle United have won just a single point in their last seven Premier League matches (W0 D1 L6).
- Wayne Rooney has scored 14 Premier League goals against Newcastle United – against no opponent has he scored more goals in the competition (also 14 versus West Ham).
- In fact, Rooney has been involved in 22 goals in his 22 Premier League appearances against Newcastle (14 goals, 8 assists) – more than versus any other opponents in the competition.
- Newcastle have scored in 63% of their home games this season but only managed a clean sheet in 25% of them.
- Meanwhile, Everton have conceded in 100% of their trips away in the Premier League this season.